Celebrate Racing at the IU Health North Hospital Second Saturday Gallery Walk in the Carmel Arts & Design District on May 14th
Carmel, IN - Wine and dine at one of the District restaurants, browse the new and exciting exhibits at 10 District galleries and explore all the unique things the District has to offer during the IU Health North Hospital Second Saturday Gallery Walk on Saturday, May 14, 2016 from 5-9 p.m.
Join us as we rev up with a race theme throughout the Arts & Design District, including an Indy Car display and ticket giveaway. There is also a NEW LOCATION for the Scavenger Hunt starting point next to Evan Lurie Gallery (30 W. Main St.). See more details below on this month's Scavenger Hunt prizes.
Other special events this month include:
* Celebrate Racing by visiting the 1980 Lindsey Hopkins Indy Car on display by Scotty's Brewhouse (2nd Ave. NW).
* Carmel's May Gallery Walk is part of the Porch Party Indy celebration commemorating the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500.
* Visit the CCA Gallery & Gifts (111 W. Main St., Ste. 135) for the "Racetracks and Roundabouts" exhibit. Featured artist Lesley Bain Haflich will display her Indy 500 tribute painting with a print giveaway, available only for the month of May. She will also show her new series based on the roundabouts of Hamilton County.
* Enjoy a May Gallery Walk Special from Carmel Pop Shop (316 S. Range Line Rd., Ste. B) - one free small snow cone per person or movie pop popcorn.
Featured artists and exhibits during the May Gallery Walk include:
* ArtSplash Gallery (111 W. Main St., Suite 140) will feature the paintings of Debbie Slack, who works in both oils and acrylics to create a variety of landscape and still life.
* The CAC Children's Art Gallery (40 W. Main St.), featuring the "The World's Smallest Children's Art Gallery," will display the exhibit "A Season for Reflection," by Carmel Elementary art students. The students studied artwork by many artists and then created their own impressions using several different mediums. The CAC Gallery Annex will continue to feature art from all of the Carmel Clay Middle Schools as well as Carmel High School. The gallery will also display artwork from students from Carmel's Sister City, Kawachinagano, Japan. The art has been on loan from the Carmel-Kawachinagano Sister Cities Organization since September 2015.
* Painter Jonathan Kane will display his work at The Great Frame Up (21 1st St. SW). Kane focuses on landscape and botanical artwork to create the presence of the natural world in his paintings.
Additional activities taking place during the May Gallery Walk include:
* Free caricatures by Custom Eyes Design, (by Auntie Em's Frozen Custard & Cupcakes 111 W. Main St., Suite 130).
* Musical Entertainment along Main Street by harpist Jan Aldridge-Clark and guitarist Casey Harshbarger.
* Be a part of the Scavenger Hunt that will lead you to find select pieces of art in each of the participating galleries and businesses. Begin the hunt next to Evan Lurie Gallery (30 W. Main St.). Follow the clues through the District and then turn in your completed clue sheet to receive a charm. Collect a different charm at each Gallery Walk throughout the year to complete a whole charm bracelet by the end of the year. Other prizes are also available for men and children.
Your completed Scavenger Hunt clue sheet will also enter you for a chance to win one of the following prizes:
o Four tickets to Indianapolis 500's Carb Day (Friday, May 27th) at IMS ($30 value each)
o Indy 500 print from Jilly Jack ($30 value)
o Indy 500 commemorative T-shirt ($25 value)
o Indy 500 baseball cap (($25 value)
o Original watercolor of Paris by Valentina Shvyrkova ($125 value)
o Family of 4 package to Connor Prairie w/hot air balloon experience, donated by Hamilton County Tourism ($150 value)
o Mosaic Garden class ($65 value)
o Family of 4 tickets to Monon Center ($40 value)
o Indiana Glass paperweight by Lisa Pelo of Hot Blown Glass ($30 value)
o Children's art gift basket ($30 value)
o Hand carved wooden platter from Blue Butterly Furniture and Finds, LLC ($30 value)
o Happy Dog wash and nail clipping ($25 value)
o Two black & white gift baskets ($25 value each)
o Children's art basket from Pi Lab ($20 value)
A map of the gallery locations and more information about the IU Health North Hospital Gallery Walk activities can be found at www.CarmelArtsAndDesign.com.
Public parking is available in the Carmel Lions Club lot (141 E. Main St.), Sophia Square parking garage (entrance off of 1st Ave NW), Indiana Design Center parking garage (200 S. Range Line Rd.) or available on-street public parking. The Arts & Design District parking map may be downloaded at http://www.carmelartsanddesign.com/images/Carmel_District_ParkingMap.pdf.